North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Join Heath Soccer Academy (Rockwall area)29/08/24, 10:58 pmsocroc
Join Heath Soccer Academy (Rockwall area)29/08/24, 11:02 amsocroc
09/10 COMPETITIVE TEAM IN ROCKWALL AREA17/08/24, 02:26 amJumpman
Last call Solar 09/10 Rockwall22/07/24, 10:48 amsocroc
Last call Solar 09 Rockwall22/07/24, 10:15 amsocroc
Solar 09 NPL NTX (Rockwall)15/07/24, 08:15 pmsocroc
Solar 09 NPL NTX (Rockwall)15/07/24, 06:35 pmsocroc
Solar 09 NPL NTX (Rockwall)15/07/24, 05:18 pmsocroc
Solar 09 NPL NTX (Rockwall)26/06/24, 10:29 amsocroc
2008G Dallas Texans Tryouts (Final 1-2 spots)26/06/24, 10:20 amDallas Texans East
2008G Dallas Texans Tryouts 26/06/24, 09:52 amDallas Texans East
Solar 07 Spear DII Classic League 25/06/24, 01:42 pmsocroc
Solar 06B RL and DI Classic 25/06/24, 01:34 pmsocroc
RSC 11' GCL w/Coach Adam23/06/24, 01:15 pmacst
Oh Yeah! movin' on UP 09's23/06/24, 09:58 amacst
Open Practice 20/06/24, 10:00 amCoach Jim
BvB '06 Gold D-1 Coach Chris Obara formerly with Ayses 17/06/24, 11:18 amBiroBiro
Renegades 2016G and 2017G North Blanton16/06/24, 06:30 pmtareyncarol
FCP Dynamos 2010B - Looking For Players16/06/24, 05:02 pmfcpcoach
Solar 2014B Williams - White - Needing 2 more players09/06/24, 02:39 pmMarvelousmar
RSC ELITE CAC09/06/24, 12:10 pmacst
RSC 08Clark02/06/24, 05:43 pmacst
Sting 2011 Boys ECNL RL NTX02/06/24, 06:17 amJumpman
NTX Celtic 2011B ECNL-RL-NTX Opportunity01/06/24, 11:04 pmFSFFL
NTX Celtic 06/07G ECNL-RL-NTX Opportunity01/06/24, 10:49 pmFSFFL

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Keeper parents: What do you look for in a club? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15806 registered users
The newest registered user is Karly

Our users have posted a total of 205242 messages in 32019 subjects

Keeper parents: What do you look for in a club?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Keeper parents: What do you look for in a club? Empty Keeper parents: What do you look for in a club?

Post by KeepersBeCrazy 03/09/18, 10:24 am

I've got a U10 keeper that still wants field time. Has been playing keeper for less than a year, but really enjoys it and is good at it (in as unbiased a view as I can give).
I don't understand the landscape of academy and select soccer yet and wanted to hear about how other coaches or clubs would handle this situation.

What resources does your coach/club have to develop keepers?
Are keepers just pigeonholed once they put on those gloves and does well (better than the other kids)?

End of the day, what is best for a kid that wants to do both?

KeepersBeCrazy
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Keeper parents: What do you look for in a club? Empty Re: Keeper parents: What do you look for in a club?

Post by soccerhuh18 03/09/18, 12:14 pm

KeepersBeCrazy wrote:I've got a U10 keeper that still wants field time.  Has been playing keeper for less than a year, but really enjoys it and is good at it (in as unbiased a view as I can give).  
I don't understand the landscape of academy and select soccer yet and wanted to hear about how other coaches or clubs would handle this situation.

What resources does your coach/club have to develop keepers?  
Are keepers just pigeonholed once they put on those gloves and does well (better than the other kids)?

End of the day, what is best for a kid that wants to do both?  

Dealing with the same issue. I have a U10 girl who loves playing in goal. She's always been interested in it, and we finally gave in at the end of the Spring season. Having a tall, aggressive kid who actually wants to play in goal and is good at it seems pretty rare, so I will just resign myself to chewing my nails at every game.

Her coach assured me that he is not about specializing 9 year olds, but she played in goal for the entire kick-off tournament for this upcoming season, so I don't know how much time she's actually going to get on the field anymore. She is the only one on her team who likes to do it and the best at it by far, so I'm seeing pigeon-holing on the horizon for this season.

It doesn't bother her, but I feel like she's too young to be stuck back there for good if she does happen to stick with soccer as she gets older. She does also play on a rec team where she won't see much time in goal at all, so at least she's not losing ground completely as a field player.

Her club has a keeper coach, but it's a 45 minute drive to get to training, and I think 9 is too young for adding another 2 nights a week of practice. Trying to avoid sports burnout by 13 is a concern for us.

Our plan is to allow her to play goal as much as she wants this year and continue to send her to keeper camps to develop her skills without adding the extra load of keeper training. One camp this summer made a HUGE difference. Then if she still loves it with select looming next summer, we'll allow her to be as all-in as she wants.

As far as the pigeon-hole thing goes, be wary of what the coach says vs. what actually happens. If your son really wants to play goal AND field, it's probably not an issue and with a good coach at this age, they will figure out how to get a rotation to allow that. Our daughter's coach would definitely put her on the field for half of every game if she was asking for time on the field. However, if the kid is happy to play in goal the whole game and is good at it, I could see almost any coach putting them back there for good. Several times, I have seen the coach at halftime ask our daughter if she wants to stay in goal second half and she always says yes. Makes it an easy decision.

soccerhuh18
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Keeper parents: What do you look for in a club? Empty Re: Keeper parents: What do you look for in a club?

Post by KeepersBeCrazy 03/09/18, 02:14 pm

Thanks for the feedback, soccerhuh18...it sounds like we're in a very similar situation.  We have a keepergirl, too, tried to keep it ambiguous as the situation is probably pretty gender neutral.

Another thing I see a lot of on this forum when it comes to teams looking for players that makes me feel stuck are the words "committed keeper".  I know teams have to focus on wins, but I'm looking a team that will also focus on player development by having the kids learn and play different positions.  I think that is even harder now with the qualifying tournament looming so closely.

Last edited by KeepersBeCrazy on 03/09/18, 07:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

KeepersBeCrazy
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by TayJ6 03/09/18, 02:40 pm

I’m a firm believer in goalkeeper rotation at the academy level, even if it’s just 2 players splitting the halves. The closer you get to Select age, the desire to win takes over and teams start to leave their best option in at all times.

As a keeper parent, I have accepted my child’s desire to play goalkeeper and the fact this is the best way for him to contribute to his team.

Luckily we play for a club that is large enough to allow options for him to play on the field with other teams so that he can continue to develop as an overall player.

He started goalkeeper training at U10. (2 days a week). As his team practice time found him spending more and more time in the goal, we traded goalkeeper practice for practice with another team where he doesn’t play keeper at practice.

We now allow him to decide what he does at practice (U-12). He goes 4 days a week on his own decision. He decides if he’s doing goalkeeper practice or jumping in with another coach, or with his own coach’s older team. He gets a variety of training, but we let him decide what he wants to do. He has yet to ask for a day off, but we ask regularly. We are thrilled that he has found something that he is so passionate about, and hope that by allowing him to be in control of his experience we can avoid the dreaded burnout that we are all worried about.

Now, more than ever, goalkeepers need to be confident and competent with the ball at their feet. I believe that if you’re not careful, specializing as a goalkeeper too young may gain some short term wins, but sacrifice long term player development. Most of the best keepers switched to the position later in their careers, after years of developing ball skills as a field player.

TayJ6
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by KeepersBeCrazy 03/09/18, 07:49 pm

TayJ6 wrote:I’m a firm believer in goalkeeper rotation at the academy level, even if it’s just 2 players splitting the halves.
We have a backup keeper, but she is really just there in case of emergencies.  I'd like to see a 50/50 split.
TayJ6 wrote:Luckily we play for a club that is large enough to allow options for him to play on the field with other teams so that he can continue to develop as an overall player.
He started goalkeeper training at U10. (2 days a week). As his team practice time found him spending more and more time in the goal, we traded goalkeeper practice for practice with another team where he doesn’t play keeper at practice.
This would be an interesting option.  Did you talk to the coach about what options were available and came up with this solution?
TayJ6 wrote:Now, more than ever, goalkeepers need to be confident and competent with the ball at their feet. I believe that if you’re not careful, specializing as a goalkeeper too young may gain some short term wins, but sacrifice long term player development. Most of the best keepers switched to the position later in their careers, after years of developing ball skills as a field player.
Could not agree with this more.

KeepersBeCrazy
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by TayJ6 03/09/18, 08:11 pm

KeepersBeCrazy wrote:
TayJ6 wrote:Luckily we play for a club that is large enough to allow options for him to play on the field with other teams so that he can continue to develop as an overall player.
This would be an interesting option.  Did you talk to the coach about what options were available and came up with this solution?

Absolutely! Communication is key. We reached out to the coach with our concerns and he set us up with some options. Below U11, rosters are very flexible and you have tons of options. We played on the field with 3 different teams at U10 depending on schedule and availability. U11 and up is more difficult, but options are still there. Depending on the level of your team, you can play “up” in your own age group or play “down” to an appropriate level in an older age group.

Our team always comes first.

It has been great for him to “network” with other coaches and players within the club, makes him feel special Smile He has developed great relationships with players on several teams. Playing with these teams is what has made him so comfortable just showing up at whatever extra practice he wants and jumping right in.

TayJ6
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SterlingKeeper 04/09/18, 03:49 am

Our son’s a U14 (B 2005) keeper - at this age, we’ve been content with consistent game-time play. He goes to private and group keeper trainings 2x a week. So for his development, we have a coach that expects high level skills - but set for his age...good distribution, foot skills, etc.

So we feel like from ages 10-14ish, just getting time in net and experience with an experienced coach and good teammates helps him developed all the well-rounded skills he needs.

2 years ago, we played up in a higher level (CalSouth’s Silver) and lost most every game, but as a keeper parent, it was great because he got lots of experience (but if you average less than a goal/game, the team rarely wins, regardless of what you stop or don’t stop).

Last year, we only lost 1 game. And he got a whole new level of experienced.

All that to say, we are less concerned with the strength of a team, but the character of the coach and teammates. A caustic social atmosphere can be detrimental longterm to play and desire.

When he hits 14-15, he better have the temperament to put up with anything a coach or player may say to or about him, and the skills to back it up, if he’s going to play at a high competitive level.

For now, we look for a good coach and and an atmosphere he can grow in, have fun, push himself hard, and increase his gameplay and skills..

One thing I really agreed with on a previous post was going all-keeper too soon. Without good field/foot skills, your play will start to suffer around the U12 and it may just get worse, trying to make up for years on missed foot skills.

(fyi: We’ve got family in Colleyville, and will be moving out to HEB area in December, just starting to look around)

Sent from Topic'it App
SterlingKeeper
SterlingKeeper
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by BENDMEOVER 04/09/18, 06:31 am

You look for a scholarship opportunity with a club most kids dont want to play that position most teams will finance the tournament fees as well just to have this player.  Additional training outside the club will be a necessary consider paying a coach outside the club.
BENDMEOVER
BENDMEOVER
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by KeepersBeCrazy 04/09/18, 08:26 am

SterlingKeeper wrote:Our son’s a U14 (B 2005) keeper - at this age, we’ve been content with consistent game-time play.
Being out there 100% of the time is kinda nice.
SterlingKeeper wrote:2 years ago, we played up in a higher level (CalSouth’s Silver) and lost most every game, but as a keeper parent, it was great because he got lots of experience.
It's tough on the team, but selfishly, lots of in game experience for the keep.
SterlingKeeper wrote:All that to say, we are less concerned with the strength of a team, but the character of the coach and teammates.  A caustic social atmosphere can be detrimental longterm to play and desire.
This is something I had overlooked, glad you brought it up.
SterlingKeeper wrote:For now, we look for a good coach and and an atmosphere he can grow in, have fun, push himself hard, and increase his gameplay and skills..  
One thing I really agreed with on a previous post was going all-keeper too soon.  Without good field/foot skills, your play will start to suffer around the U12 and it may just get worse, trying to make up for years on missed foot skills.
(fyi:  We’ve got family in Colleyville, and will be moving out to HEB area in December, just starting to look around)
Great points, I think that's the best outlook at this level of soccer.
Thanks, and good luck.

KeepersBeCrazy
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 04/09/18, 09:25 am

A few opinions to add to this:

1) Always remember that this is your kid's journey, not yours.  You are there to guide and monitor, but not to dictate unless absolutely necessary.  If your kid's desire is truly to play both keeper and field, then by all means advocate for that.  However, if your kid wants to focus on keeper and is only playing field because you are telling them they need to, or they sense that that is what you want and are just trying to please you, it will NOT end up where you want it to down the road.  Just be cautious of that.

2)  As others have pointed out, even if the decision is to focus solely on keeper, developing good ball skills is just as important as working on keeper technique.  When your keeper is at team practices, they should be right in the middle participating in any footwork, skills, passing drills with the rest of the team.  Any coach worth their salt will do this.  Any coach who doesn't... run away fast.

3) If your kid wants to split time between keeper and field, you'll find that your coach will be much more willing to do this if your kid is a difference maker on the field vs. just another body out there.  This will be especially true the closer you get to the top of the competitive totem pole.  So while your kid may be able to play keeper for a team at a higher competitive level, if your kid truly wants to split between keeper and field, you may have to drop them down a level or 2 to find a coach/team that is willing to do this.  Now, keep in mind that if you do this, you run the risk of slowing their development as a keeper as the "iron sharpens iron" analogy generally holds true.  You just need to have honest conversations with your kid about what his/her goals (pun fully intended) are with soccer - just want to play vs. want to make the HS team vs. want to play in College or beyond, etc. - and discuss with them what is the best path to accomplishing those goals.

There are many different paths to get to the same place, and no singular perfect path.  Do your best to be as objective as possible, be supportive, make sure your kid is a part of the decision process, and be your kid's advocate when necessary.

Back to top Go down

Post by BENDMEOVER 04/09/18, 11:18 am

If you are having to.pay for club and a specialized coach find a new team is my advice.
BENDMEOVER
BENDMEOVER
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by KeepersBeCrazy 06/09/18, 01:50 pm

DeltaTauChi wrote:1) Always remember that this is your kid's journey, not yours.  You are there to guide and monitor, but not to dictate unless absolutely necessary.
I think every sports parent should repeat this in their head before every practice and game.
DeltaTauChi wrote:There are many different paths to get to the same place, and no singular perfect path.  Do your best to be as objective as possible, be supportive, make sure your kid is a part of the decision process, and be your kid's advocate when necessary.
This sums up how I feel.  Just wanted to get some exposure to other parents and how similar situations are handled by the kid, parent, and coach.

KeepersBeCrazy
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 06/09/18, 03:45 pm

KeepersBeCrazy wrote:
DeltaTauChi wrote:1) Always remember that this is your kid's journey, not yours.  You are there to guide and monitor, but not to dictate unless absolutely necessary.
I think every sports parent should repeat this in their head before every practice and game.
DeltaTauChi wrote:There are many different paths to get to the same place, and no singular perfect path.  Do your best to be as objective as possible, be supportive, make sure your kid is a part of the decision process, and be your kid's advocate when necessary.
This sums up how I feel.  Just wanted to get some exposure to other parents and how similar situations are handled by the kid, parent, and coach.

In my opinion and experience, objectivity is the biggest stumbling block for parents. Too many parents have rose-colored glasses that filter out everything except the highlight reel plays, and their opinion of their kid's talent is based solely on that. Coaches are looking more critically at average level of play/effort and giving at least equal weight to mistakes vs. highlights when determining roster positions and playing time. That disconnect leads to the majority of the disgruntled parent/player situations out there.

Back to top Go down

Post by CardinalRule 06/09/18, 04:48 pm

Delta, your "opinion and experience" bring comfort to us all. With a SRSA 07 rock star just finishing up her first year in Select soccer, you are a man among boys (don't get excited, that's just a saying). We all yearn to hear more of your hard earned soccer wisdom.

CardinalRule
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 06/09/18, 05:50 pm

CardinalRule wrote:Delta, your "opinion and experience" bring comfort to us all.  With a SRSA 07 rock star just finishing up her first year in Select soccer, you are a man among boys (don't get excited, that's just a saying).  We all yearn to hear more of your hard earned soccer wisdom.

Dude, if you only knew how far off you are.

Don't have anything near an '07, and haven't had a kid play for Solar since 2011. I have been through, and am currently going through, the NTX select sport and college recruiting process with multiple kids in multiple sports. Whether or not anyone on here thinks my comments and opinions based on my experiences are worthwhile or completely worthless, is solely up each and every one of you to decide on your own. Never has, and never will stop me from posting them when I feel like it.

Back to top Go down

Post by CardinalRule 06/09/18, 06:22 pm

Damn Delta, you have been holding out on us. Multiple kids being recruited in multiple sports!?! Wow, I bet they are also straight A students with perfect SAT scores? International models? Young entrepreneurs? Acclaimed musicians? Laughing Are they being recruited at Faber College? Is Dean Wormer still there?

CardinalRule
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 06/09/18, 07:23 pm

CardinalRule wrote:Damn Delta, you have been holding out on us.  Multiple kids being recruited in multiple sports!?!   Wow, I bet they are also straight A students with perfect SAT scores?  International models?  Young entrepreneurs? Acclaimed musicians?  Laughing Are they being recruited at Faber College?  Is Dean Wormer still there?

Oops! My bad. Confusing language. Let me clarify. Multiple kids, each kid decided to focus on a single sport, but it was a different sport for each kid. 1 playing in college, 1 verbally committed, and 1 working on it.

Wished they had perfect SAT scores, were international models, young entrepreneurs, or acclaimed musicians, as I would probably be able to retire a lot sooner if that was the case. Alas, they're just good kids that are working hard and following their passion. I'm just along for the ride, doing what I can to nurture and support them.

I'll leave it up to the rest of you to interpret if I am bragging, or just giving factual information to provide context and perspective on my comments and opinions.

Back to top Go down

Post by brazos 06/09/18, 08:26 pm

I see a large number of teams with 2 keepers - one plays one half and the other plays the other half. Neither of them see any field time. There are times when they seem equal in talent and other times when there is a drop-off. Am I missing something? Why would you want you child to be on one of these teams? I understand the positives for the coach/team but not the keeper playing 50%.

brazos
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by KeepersBeCrazy 06/09/18, 08:34 pm

I'd understand if it was 50/50 goal and field, otherwise that seems like a crappy situation.

Sent from Topic'it App

KeepersBeCrazy
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BENDMEOVER 06/09/18, 09:47 pm

I wish they would just clean their rooms and do their chores.
BENDMEOVER
BENDMEOVER
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 06/09/18, 09:49 pm

SoccerSuckers wrote:I wish they would just clean their rooms and do their chores.

Amen!

Back to top Go down

Post by CardinalRule 06/09/18, 10:51 pm

DeltaTauChi wrote:
CardinalRule wrote:Damn Delta, you have been holding out on us.  Multiple kids being recruited in multiple sports!?!   Wow, I bet they are also straight A students with perfect SAT scores?  International models?  Young entrepreneurs? Acclaimed musicians?  Laughing Are they being recruited at Faber College?  Is Dean Wormer still there?

Oops!  My bad.  Confusing language.  Let me clarify.  Multiple kids, each kid decided to focus on a single sport, but it was a different sport for each kid.  1 playing in college, 1 verbally committed, and 1 working on it.  

Wished they had perfect SAT scores, were international models, young entrepreneurs, or acclaimed musicians, as I would probably be able to retire a lot sooner if that was the case.  Alas, they're just good kids that are working hard and following their passion.  I'm just along for the ride, doing what I can to nurture and support them.

I'll leave it up to the rest of you to interpret if I am bragging, or just giving factual information to provide context and perspective on my comments and opinions.

Delta, looks like you signed up for a user profile in January of 2018. I thought your kids are sports studs wrapping up their highly decorated sports careers with college scholarships. That's odd. Why sign up for a profile now? Why the sudden urge to post?

Congrats on posting 256 times YTD. That's over 30 posts a month on average. You sure have a lot to say for a benevolent dad just trying to "nurture and support" your kids.

I think Al said it best in Scent of a Woman; "This is such a crock of shit."

CardinalRule
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BENDMEOVER 07/09/18, 06:26 am

"Don’t let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day [the Second Coming] will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the man doomed to destruction.” (2 Thessalonians 2:3)

BENDMEOVER
BENDMEOVER
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07/09/18, 08:13 am

CardinalRule wrote:
DeltaTauChi wrote:

Oops!  My bad.  Confusing language.  Let me clarify.  Multiple kids, each kid decided to focus on a single sport, but it was a different sport for each kid.  1 playing in college, 1 verbally committed, and 1 working on it.  

Wished they had perfect SAT scores, were international models, young entrepreneurs, or acclaimed musicians, as I would probably be able to retire a lot sooner if that was the case.  Alas, they're just good kids that are working hard and following their passion.  I'm just along for the ride, doing what I can to nurture and support them.

Delta, looks like you signed up for a user profile in January of 2018.  I thought your kids are sports studs wrapping up their highly decorated sports careers with college scholarships.  That's odd. Why sign up for a profile now?  Why the sudden urge to post?  

Congrats on posting 256 times YTD.  That's over 30 posts a month on average.  You sure have a lot to say for a benevolent dad just trying to "nurture and support" your kids.  

I think Al said it best in Scent of a Woman;  "This is such a crock of shit."    

That's all you got?  I created this account a few months ago? I post a lot?  I bragged about my kids a little bit (not intentionally, but you did catch me there, so, oh well, guess I deserve that Embarassed )?

Weak sauce my friend.  I hope for your sake, just like Al in Scent of a Woman, that you're "just gettin' warmed up."

Back to top Go down

Post by CardinalRule 07/09/18, 11:19 am

Delta, BWG, Are you trying to make a comeback under a different alias? I knew you wouldn't stay away. Razz

If calling you out for being an egomaniac and pathological liar is all I got...you're right. Carry on pal.

CardinalRule
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next